Traffic Tickets: 30-days, Late fees, and DL Suspensions

Traffic Tickets And The 30-Day Window

Don't Lose Your Driver's License.
When you receive a traffic ticket in Florida you are told (or you are notified by the content of the ticket) that you have options on how to handle the ticket. These options are called "elections." The big three elections include:
  • Paying the ticket.
  • Going to driving school.
  • Setting ticket for a hearing.
All elections must be made within 30-days of receiving the ticket. If you fail to make an election within those first 30-days the following happens:
  • The Clerk of Court assesses a late fee.
  • The Clerk of Court notifies the Department [DMV] that you are late.
  • The DMV begins the process of suspending your license.
The DMV process to suspend your driver's license begins when they are notified by the Clerk of Court that you have failed to make an election within the 30-day window. When the DMV receives this notice they do the following:
  • Send the Driver a letter to the last known address that they failed to make an election.
  • The letter will have a suspension date approximately 3-weeks in the future.

What you need to do to avoid the suspension

When you receive the DMV letter indicating that your driver's license is about to be suspended you need to do the following:
  • Go to the Clerk of Court in the county where you received your ticket and pay the late fee.
If you do this before the suspension starts it will be removed and never start. If you have waited until after the suspension begins you will have to:
  • Go to the Clerk and pay the late fee.
  • Go to DMV and reinstate your driver's license ($60).

Bottom Line

The bottom line is the late fee must be paid to the Clerk of the Court even if your ticket is dismissed. If you do not act within the 30-day window you are assessed a late fee.

Additionally, you need to keep your address on your driver's license and your vehicle(s) registrations up-to-date. The DMV uses these addresses to notify you of any issues you need to take care of (as does all the toll agencies). The DMV website has information on how to change your address.
For more information please go to my website.

, Attorney, P.O.Box 3591, Orlando, FL 32802-3591  (407) 841-5555

Popular posts from this blog

Problems With Florida Toll Roads

Passing Another Vehicle - Section 316.083, Florida Statutes

The Handcuff Key, another obscure "Tag! Your Guilty" crime.